TOOLBOX TALK 19/60
TOPIC: 10 SAFETY HABIT RESOLUTIONS FOR 2022
OBJECTIVE: ENCOURAGE TEAMS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR SAFETY
Developing everyday safety habits can keep you injury free throughout the year.
Here are 10 Safety Habits to discuss with your teams:
- Set Your Own Standards – You are responsible for your own safety, make sure you get home to your family and others get home to theirs.
- Operate Equipment Only if Qualified – Don’t be afraid to let your supervisor know if you are qualified to do a job or operate a piece of equipment. Safety is as much your responsibility as your supervisors.
- Respect Machinery – Machinery is hazardous. Remember to neutralise all energies before placing your any part of your body in harm’s way. Always understand, and use the lock out and isolation procedures.
- Use Your Own Initiative – You may in the best position to identify a need for additional personal protective equipment (PPE). Ask for additional guidance on a task if you need identify see a risk.
- Ask Questions – Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Your question may save a life.
- Be Careful When Lifting – Most muscle and spinal injuries are from overstraining. The few minutes it takes to get help may prevent weeks off work and being in pain.
- Practice Good Housekeeping – Messy work areas are the breeding grounds for incidents & accidents. You may not be the victim, but don’t be a cause.
- Wear Suitable Work Clothes – Wear appropriate PPE for each
job. Avoid loose clothing, dangling jewellery, and tie long hair back so it does not become entangled in the machinery.
- Practice Good Personal Hygiene – Some jobs are messy! Avoid touching eyes, face, and mouth with gloves or hands that are dirty. Most industrial rashes are the result of poor hygiene practices.
- Be a Positive Part of the Safety Team – Willingly accept and follow safety rules and encourage others to do so too. Your attitude can play a major role in the prevention of incidents and accidents in the work place.
Don’t be reactive, get proactive with HSEC Online®