TOOLBOX TALK 26/60
TOPIC: FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
OBJECTIVE: TO CREATE AWARNESS IN THE USE OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
Some things to know before you give your talk:
- Remind your team that there are several types of fire extinguishers around the job site and that they are intended for different types of fires.
- You need to check and make sure each day that it is serviced and not tampered with.
One basic type of fire extinguisher contains water:
- These fire extinguishers should be used on fires in wood, paper, cloth and rubbish.
- They should not be used on burning liquids like petrol. The burning liquid may float on the water and the fire may spread.
- They should also not be used on live electrical or electronic equipment because water is a good conductor of electricity.
Other common types of fire extinguishers contain dioxide or dry chemicals:
- These are usually mounted on or beside machinery, equipment and containers of flammable liquid.
- Carbon dioxide and dry chemicals cut off the air supply necessary for a fire and smother it.
Try this for show and tell!
- Show how to use a fire extinguisher and make everyone in the team demonstrate it.
Questions you can use to get them talking:
- What types of extinguishers are located in your work area?
- What type of fires are they intended for?
- How would you contact the fire department on this job?
Don’t be reactive, get proactive with HSEC Online®