TOOLBOX TALK 32/60
TOPIC: PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE)
OBJECTIVE: TO ENSURE SAFE USE OF PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
- Wear safety glasses, goggles or face shields when conducting operations that produce flying objects such as operating grinders, sanders, chainsaws, etc.
- Wear chemical goggles when using or handling chemicals from containers labeled “CAUSTIC”, “CORROSIVE” or “WEAR EYE PROTECTION”.
- Wear a welding helmet or welding goggles during welding operations.
- Wear dielectric gloves when working on electric current.
- Wear ear plugs or earmuffs in areas posted “Hearing Protection Required” or in noisy areas.
- Know your PPE requirements for the specific operation you are conducting.
- Make sure you are wearing the correct sized PPE.
- Wash your PPE as per label instructions.
- Discard PPE that has been contaminated with hazardous substances in the same way as you would discard the hazardous substance.
- Always tie your shoelaces securely.
- Keep your boots polished. It prolongs its life and aids in water proofing.
- All new employees need to do the basic awareness training for PPE.
- Remember that failure to wear the correct PPE can result in disciplinary action.
- Report damaged PPE to your supervisor immediately.
- Conduct daily PPE inspections.
- Remember that your PPE remains the property of the company.
- ALTER YOUR PPE IN ANYWAY.
- Paint or drill holes in your hard hats.
- Wear hard hats that are dented or cracked.
- Continue to work if your safety glasses become fogged. Stop work and clean the glasses until the lenses are clear and defogged.
- Use damaged PPE – report it to the supervisor and request replacement PPE.
- Attempt any operation if you do not know that operations PPE requirements.
- Use your PPE for any other purpose other than at your workplace.
Don’t be reactive, get proactive with HSEC Online®