TOOLBOX TALK 39/60
TOPIC: LIFTING EQUIPMENT
OBJECTIVE: TO ENSURE THE SAFE USE OF LIFTING EQUIPMENT
- Wear work gloves when handling rough, sharp-edged or abrasive material such as chains, cables, ropes or slings.
- Protect slings from the sharp edges of their loads by placing pads over the sharp edges of the items that are being lifted.
- Protect the mesh gears from corrosion and weather elements by placing a cover over them.
- Inspect lifting equipment at least every 3 months.
- Get an approved inspection authority to inspect the equipment every 12 months.
- Display signage indicating carrying capacities.
- Plan for annual load testing by an approved inspection authority.
- Get reminders and keep records of these inspections using the HSEC Online® Mobile App with ‘Additional Fields’ checklist
- Do not place your hands between the sling and its load when the sling is being tightened around the load.
- Do not alter or remove the safety latch on hooks.
- Do not use a hook that does not have a safety latch, or if the safety latch is bent.
- Do not use a kinked chain.
- Do not use chain slings if links are cracked, twisted, stretched, or bent.
- Do not shorten slings by using make-shift devices such as knots or bolts.
- Do not inspect lifting equipment if you have not been appointed/ trained to do so.
Don’t be reactive, get proactive with HSEC Online®