TOOLBOX TALK 46/60
TOPIC: TRANSPORTATION OF HAZARDOUS GOODS
OBJECTIVE: TO ENSURE SAFE TRANSPORTATION OF HAZARDOUS GOODS
- Always stay within the speed limit and obey the traffic laws.
- Ensure there is a serviceable and approved fire extinguisher in the vehicle.
- Ensure that the vehicle meets the standards and safety requirements of the hazardous goods being loaded.
- Use daily checklists.
- Ensure the load remains secure during the transportation.
- Ensure tools and equipment are secured and cannot cause injury to the passengers.
- If required, the driver must hold the necessary permits and a driver’s license for transportation of hazardous materials.
- The park brake should be on while loading and offloading the vehicle.
- Using chock blocks when the vehicle is parked is good practice.
- Ensure that the vehicle is operated in a safe and correct manner.
- Travel slowly on uneven surfaces and when turning.
- Continually adjust your speed to the driving conditions.
- Check conditions of tow bar for damage, wear and tear or loose bolts.
- All drivers to be trained as first aiders.
- No naked flames or smoking during refuelling.
- Passengers and hazardous chemicals or fuels should not be transported in the same carry area.
- No smoking during transportation of any hazardous goods.
- Never over-load the vehicle.
- The driver must not be under the influence of alcohol or any narcotic.
- Never enter a situation that you feel is unsafe – always consult the supervisor first.
- Do not use your cell phone while driving.
Don’t be reactive, get proactive with HSEC Online®